Halloween Safety Reminder
Tuesday, October 31 is a night many will choose to be scared, but don’t let your chosen fears turn into an unwanted nightmare. Be safe and courteous of others as you Trick-or-Treat.
The hours for trick-or-treating at The Landings are from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m., October 31. Parents are urged to stay close to their children and make certain every ghoul and goblin is armed with a flashlight to guide them safely to their treats. Additionally, The Landings Association has learned that The Haunted Trail on the cart path near Huntingwood Retreat will take place this year, weather permitting, on Halloween beginning at dusk.
Below are some safety tips that will get you and your ghouls and goblins through this wonderful holiday evening safe and sound.
- Costumes should not drag on the ground or hinder children’s line-of-sight.
- Costumes should be flame-proof and have some type of bright or reflective tape or color.
- Use makeup instead of masks so as not to affect your child’s sightlines.
- Use battery-operated lights in pumpkins rather than candles.
- Only approach houses where you know the occupants and the lights are on.
- Do not criss-cross the street.
- Carry a flashlight.
- Travel in groups with at least one adult.
- Never go inside the home of a stranger.
- Do not disturb debris piles on the sides of roads and common area.
- Parents should check all treats before allowing children to eat them.
- Homeowners should ensure their walkways are clear and well-lit if they are accepting trick-or-treaters at their home.
- Motorists and golf cart operators are asked to be particularly careful, as children will be excited and may dart into the street or cart trail without looking.
Staff of The Landings Association wish you a safe and spooktacular Halloween! Please be alert and conscious of small witches and warlocks as they travel the island.